Pages

Sunday 6 April 2014

You spent HOW long in the hairdresser's?



Last weekend I spent a record-breaking amount of time in the hairdresser's...erm, 10 hours.
Ridiculous eh?

So, I bet you are looking at those above pictures and thinking, what on earth took 10 hours? Fair enough.
I certainly wasn't planning on being in the salon for longer than the average working day. I went in for a cut and colour, but the problem was my base colour proved trickier to deal with than both I, and my stylist, envisioned. 

At the end of last year I coloured my hair the darkest it has ever been, a deep plummy red. Oh, and I hated it. It made me look ill and it bled heaps of colour every time I washed my hair. Fail. Earlier this year I used an at home kit to remove the colour and then used a temporary orange colour. When this faded I used a permanent ginger colour at home. The very top pictures is a couple of months later, with roots, faded ends and a grown out cut.

As I hadn't had my hair professionally coloured since I went blonde for my wedding last year, the stylist planned to cleanse it and then colour. After a cut and two cleanses (each taking an hour or more), we finally applied the colour...but it went wrong. There had been pigments left in my hair from my previous adventures and I ended up with flurorescent orange roots, followed by a wide pillar box red band, then patchy ginger lengths.This was about 5 hours in. Panic.

Another cleanse followed, and when that only removed the colour applied 60 minutes earlier, it was recommended I choose another colour. The suggested shade to cover up my mis-matched hair? Dark plummy red. Nooooooo! When my hairdresser saw the panic in my eyes - and judged that my hair was still in good strong condition -  we instead opted for highlights through my t-section to break up the bright red. A combination of two different colours were then used to achieve a more uniform copper / ginger colour through out. I arrived at the salon at 12 noon, and left the at 10pm.

So it may not look like it, because it isn't particularly wild, exciting or complicated looking - but my new hair took some intensive salon time. Thank you to the lovely stylists, who despite it being a Saturday night, kept the salon open long past closing time to get my hair sorted and even bought me some dinner!

So what have we learnt? Box colouring is dangerous. Sometime even the most experienced colourists can't predict what hair will do when a colour is applied. If you sit in the hairdressers for 10 hours you'll leave with neck ache and a numb bum. Colour correction is a bitch. 

Anyone else had to deal with colour correction? What is the longest you've ever spent in the hairdressers?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, I ♥ reading your comments.