Pages

Saturday 14 July 2012

The Story of Goldilocks


A totally different post today...but it is all for a good cause!

This is my friend Lizzie - she is lovely, isn't she? Look at all that fabulous hair, so long, so naturally fair, wouldn't you just kill for such a wonderful head of hair? Well Lizzie here is about to CHOP OFF all her amazing goldilocks, for charity.

The aforementioned charity is called Little Princess Trust, who make real hair wigs for children who have lost their hair through cancer treatments. These wigs are provided free of charge, and I think it is important to mention that the charity provides wigs for both girls and boys, from age two-to-18.

Lizzie's donation to the charity intends to be two-fold, she will donate her hair to be sent off to make a wig for a child, but she is also trying to raise at least £350, which is the average it costs the charity to make a wig. I don't know about you, but I know people who have spent that much getting extensions so their hair can be as long as Lizzie's!

Here I asked her all the questions I had whirring round in my head after she told me about her plans...

FashionBandit: Why have you decided to donate your hair to charity?
Lizzie: "I have thought about it for a while, I think, I’m lucky enough to have really long hair – it is a luxury, that some people don’t have. The thought that a child is going through something that hard and I can do something to help. The opportunity to make a child’s life a bit better for something that is just vanity to me – it is like why wouldn’t you do it? Rather than why would I! I have this thing in my life where I want to help people and I feel you should do something to help people that are less fortunate. I don’t have loads of money to donate to charity, and an action is more important to me.
"It is also about exposing the vanity of people in my position, my age, it is all what they look like and how they present themselves – it is actually about the bigger picture. I don’t like to submit to the way society thinks I should look."

FB: Ahhh, but you do also love getting dressed up?
L: "I have two different sides to me – I love getting dressed up with fake tan, big heels. What I’m doing shows there is more to me. I like doing it (getting dressed up) because it is fun and I don’t do it that often, but there is more to life."

FB: Your hair is one of your (physically) defining features - so this must have been a tough decision?
L: "My dad called my hair one of my most valued assets, I’ve always had long hair. It is my shield, my safety blanket. It also dresses me up, it is my accessory, I don’t always wear loads of make-up but when I have my hair down – it is my ‘thing’. I’m fussy in what I do with it. I rarely let other people do my hair. I spent time on it – blow drying it, conditioning it, using products. I wear it down pretty much all the time.

FB: So how do you feel about the impending haircut, where you will loose at least 10 inches?
L: "I’m dreading it…I’m scared that I am not pretty enough to have short hair and I’m going to look like a boy. At the minute I don’t have to do much to it, I can wash and go, but I’m scared I’ve have to ‘style’ it or it will look like a mop on my head! I’ve got some celeb pictures, I just hope it suits me and I don’t hate it. I hope it will look effortlessly stylish. I think I’m deluded!"

 Lizzie's hair in motion - It would be rude not to!
 
Personally I think Lizzie is amazing, and her hairy adventure is very inspiring! Sadly my hair isn't long enough to donate to charity, but I'll certainly be supporting Lizzie. If you have also been inspired, please check out her fund raising site: www.justgiving.com/lizziebailes, and donate, even if it is just a small amount - to help Lizzie smash her £350 fund raising target! 

Lizzie will be going for the chop at the beginning of September and has already booked in with her local salon, Changes, in Stony Stratford Milton Keynes - who have kindly offered to do the deed, and restyle her short hair, free of charge. In September I'll make sure I photograph her freshly cut hair and report back on how her fund raising got on.

Would you ever donate your hair to charity? Have you ever done anything drastic to raise money?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, I ♥ reading your comments.